Monday, August 8, 2011

Persephone "Perdini"



Ben made this for me shortly after she passed. I found it ironic that I could make the ones for Artemis and Hermione but couldn't manage to make one for a rat that had bonded to me so well and so strongly. I remember writing a post when she got really sick the first time and we didn't think she'd live through the night. I was so heartbroken to think that my Baby. My Baby would be dead.

Well, the next morning she appeared to be fine.. like it was some sort of freak thing that happened but may not end up plaguing her anymore afterward. Then she'd get sick again and sneeze and be lethargic and all the while we're trying to figure out what it is. She'd then get better and we'd think the medication or changing the bedding or this and that had some miraculous effect. I bathed them a week ago and then two days later she had developed a large lump on her neck. It was a cyst. After that she got more lethargic until yesterday she fell asleep and never woke up.

Ben drew an angel in a box that we had originally planned on burying her in, but we changed our minds last minute and put her in something air tight that we could duct tape so now animals could get into it. So I cut the angel out as well as the lyrics he put on the box:

May angels lead you in
on sleepless roads
the sleepless go
may angels lead you in

I cried when I saw what he'd written. It was beautiful and just fit so well. Persephone, I will miss you, always. I will love you.. always. Paint me pretty pictures at the bridge, I'm sure Artemis will sing for you while you do.