Thursday, July 28, 2011

She Just Doesn't Understand

Why she can't be out. Why she's alone in this weird place. Why she can't say hi to the new babies and be the sweetness she always is. Why Momma won't hold her. Why Momma's been crying. Why she's sneezing. Why no matter how much she chews on the wire where a water bottle used to be held, she's not getting out. Why she can't climb sometimes. Why her right side is acting weird, even though she really wishes it would work. Why Momma and Daddy keep smacking the side of the box when she resting, so still and sleepy, startling her awake. Why there's so much noise she can't investigate. Why Momma keeps telling her she loves her, like something's wrong. Why everything changed. Why Algernon hasn't visited.

____    ____    ____    ____

Why she's in this new place with Algernon. Why she can't see Hermione. Why no matter how much she chews on the bars, Momma won't let her back in to see Hermione. Why she has to put up with Algernon. Why Algernon's freaking out and running on the wheel so much. Why Momma and Daddy seem so sad and worried. Why the other sister she had isn't around in the cage anymore.

____    ____    ____    ____

Why Athena's here. Why things are so weird. Why there are new fuzzies where Athena used to live with Hermione. Why this is happening again. Why Momma's crying so much. Why Momma just wants to hold her so much and kiss her, like someone else. Why she can't see her sister anymore. Why Daddy seems to sad like before.

____    ____    ____    ____

Please, Persephone, please I beg you keep fighting and don't die. Please, just don't die. You can fight it. I know you're having strokes and I know you more than likely have pneumonia. I know it looks like you're getting better, but you may not actually be getting better. I know you're so confused and scared and angry that I have you some place alone, strange and without any visitors. I know you want to chew your way out but can't. I know your right side is failing to the point where a simple jump is now near impossible. I know you miss me. I know you miss Algernon. I know she misses you. I know you miss Daddy. Please. Fight. Please. Don't die. Please. I love you so much please don't die. This isn't fair...

This just isn't fair and there's nothing I can do to stop it.