Monday, September 19, 2011

Ohhhh my!

So, funny thing... my boyfriend's ISP told me I couldn't connect my laptop with a hardwire connection to the internet (non-wifi [ethernet/usb]) because I didn't have an ethernet port. Mind you, my laptop manufacturer was telling them this so hopefully you see the potential for BS in that situation. Now, I'm not saying that the company who made the laptop, let's call them Pell, would give inaccurate information on the machine. They cannot legally or they will be facing a class action lawsuit over false advertising quicker than the time it would take for a poorly made apology to be published in emails everywhere. What I'm saying is that they won't advertise the loopholes, they'd lose money. My laptop comes with an extra piece of equipment that I can buy for a convenient $100 that would allow me to hook up to the home modem with ethernet.. and take away the internet to the systems. Brilliant. So I realized that Ben's printer cable just so happens to be the perfect size and shape for the modem. I hook it up, awesome things happen, it fits but then I'm left with my laptop staring at me like an idiot asking me why I'd plug in a cable from a device for which it has no drivers. Well, I can go online and download the drivers easily! I can.. go.. onli-SUNNUVAFRACKINBATCH! So, you can see the dilemma, I hope. If you have no idea what I just said I'll translate.

NOTE: If you understand how to set up a home network or understand the terms hardwire, bluetooth and wifi, then ignore the next full paragraph.
For internet access in your home you need a device called a modem, it uses a phone or cable line to give you access to well, stuff like this and youtube and facebook. This device has different cables one of the most important being an ethernet cable. This takes the connection the modem has and gives it to your computer, gaming system or what have you so that you can surf the internet. If you don't have an ethernet or the thing that needs internet doesn't have the jack for it, then you can turn to a USB cable in most cases, it does the same thing as the ethernet, just with a different shape. It's kind of like watching a DVD on your tv versus on your computer, they do the same thing, just in different ways. Well, anything you plug into your computer via USB has to have something called a driver, what this does is tell your computer what this foreign object being shoved into it's system is and then tells it not to ruin itself or the object or, in most cases, to simply react to the device. Cross reference time: you have a lock, one that uses a key of a specific shape, as all key-locks do. You have a key blank, it has no ridges or anything. Well, when you try to insert it into the lock, a few things will happen (key won't go in, key goes in but just sits there wondering what it's supposed to do) that lead to the same result, you're not getting the lock open. Now imagine you have a locksmith's kit that allows you to make keys. You take the putty from the kit and make the shape of the lock's insides and then file the key blank to match. That's kind of what a driver does in a round about way for a USB device, it's a key of sorts to getting the system and device to work together.
NOTE: Pay attention now :)

Okay, now we are hopefully caught up and you can see what's going on. I didn't have a way to access the internet to get the drivers for the modem so I could get to the internet. Well, I finally decided not to fight futility. I hopped off the laptop. Fast-forward a day or two and Ben and I are at our friend's house playing games and eating yummy foods. Near the end of the night I realized something. I have internet access! So, as quickly as possible I download the driver and make sure it's what I need. It is. Okay, we're set. So we go home and I'm trying to install drivers on my computer. It says something like, "LOLNOPE" and I'm stuck. What do I do, what aren't I doing? I go through a few different routes of installation and finally go straight to grass-roots, the Device Manager. I click on the USB modem and let the system do it's thing. I now have a hardwire internet connection to my laptop when I was told by the IT guy of a major ISP that I couldn't do it. Vindication.

Also, the guy was creepy, he tried to flirt with me while I'm discussing the details of my BOYFRIEND's account. Yeah, real classy.

Ugh, anyway, that aside, Fée is remarkably pregnant. I am predicting a litter of at least 8 kittens. She should give birth any day now, or rather night since it's more likely to happen at 1-3 am. I'm also writing in my rat journal. When I get life together I'm hopefully going to be able to start college. I'll definitely go for genetics and immunology. It's fascinating and absolutely fun to think about and mess around with on paper. I love it so much. I can't wait to make this a life. :)

Something interesting though, for the college I'm going to attend the degree I want specifically requires calculus. Well, the university has a degree in which you work with a student adviser and make your own major (which I am considering) but seriously, calculus. I have a friend who is a computer programmer who while in college his calculus teacher told him that they would never use calculus. He uses code, his just happens to be in a computer. Geneticists use code as well, it just happens to be in a living being. What did I miss? Why is calculus in that course requirement list? I told Ben when I read that list that I would gladly take five college algebra classes in order to avoid calc. I seriously cannot see how business calc or just regular calc could in any way help make my job easier. Maybe someone out there who has a job in the field I'm seeking would be able to tell me. I cannot see it.

Halloween is coming up. I have no clue what I'll be doing. Meh, we'll see what seems interesting. Lord knows I have enough make up to throw my own zombie walk.

Anyway, that's what's been up. Sorry posts have been infrequent. I'll now be in the process of trying to get back in my writing groove.

G'mornin, g'day or g'night

Afterthought: Why do large companies want to screw everyone?